Thursday, June 6, 2013

Italian Girl

For those of you that know me well, you are well aware that spaghetti has been a very regular meal growing up. And we aren't talking a once a week deal...more like 3x a week deal. One would think I would be sick of it by now, practically 29 years old and I can't even count how many bowls I've had over the years. And what do you know? I still LOVE it. I love everything Italian. I just can't help myself. Now, I admit that I was spoiled growing up with my Italian grandma...she made everything from scratch. Tortellini, ravioli, soup, sauce...everything. So I feel that pasta is more than just food but something I hold dear to my heart and something I associate with being happy and nostalgic. Sadly for my mom, my dad would have spaghetti every night of the week but as any sane person would do, she refuses to make it that often. I just hope I can carry on the tradition of homemade Italian food and that my kids will appreciate it just like I do. And if they don't...well, they are grounded for a week :) 

Now that I have prefaced this recipe with a back story please don't be alarmed by the way this meal is prepared. If you cook Italian food, you might say this is just sacrilegious. But, I like to try out new things. I was pretty pleased with this meal and would use it again if I'm ever in a pinch for time. 


One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta

12 ounces spaghetti
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
parmesan cheese for garnish

Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a large stock pot. (I used my dutch oven above) Pour in vegetable broth, sprinkle the pepper flakes and oregano over the top. Drizzle the olive oil on top.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to  low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has almost evaporated - leave about 1 inch of liquid at the bottom. Stir about every 2 or 3 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with parmesan cheese. 

È tutto!

No comments:

Post a Comment