- 1/2 recipe spicy pork meatballs
- 1 english cucumber - chopped
- 4 radishes - chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno - sliced into rings
- 1 head bibb lettuce - leaves separated
- 1 lime - cut into wedges
(For the spicy pork meatballs)
- 1/2 cup day old bread - finely chopped or torn
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup onion - minced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 jalapeno - seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- zest of 1 orange
- flour for dredging
- salt and pepper to taste
- canola oil for pan frying
- To assemble the lettuce cups, choose the bigger outer leaves of lettuce. Place 2 meatballs in each followed by cucumber, radish, carrot and cilantro. Then top with jalapeno and garnish with lime wedge.
- For the meatballs: In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk. In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl add the rest of the ingredients. Season the meat mixture well with salt and pepper. Ring out the excess milk from the bread and add it to the meat mixture, discarding the milk. Mix all of the ingredients well then form into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Heat a large saute pan (I used cast iron) over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add enough canola oil to come slightly up the sides of the pan. Dredge the meatballs in the flour, shaking off any excess then place them in the pan. Brown all sides, about 5 minutes, then remove to paper towels and assemble your lettuce cups.
- Helpful hint - If the meatballs are not cooked all the way through after frying, then stick them into a 325 degree oven for a few minutes.