I have started watching The Sopranos from the very beginning last night and since then I have had a craving for what else...pasta of course! Some good, old fashioned bolognese. So I am cracking open this cook book that I have had for a couple years now and knew I would find just what I was looking for.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 lb ground beef chuck
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium flame. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add the ground beef, and saute until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil and 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper, and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, then season with more salt and pepper to taste.