To be honest I am not very confident when it comes to baking. I much prefer cooking but every so often my husband requests some baked goods. I would rather make something myself and get more experience then just running out to get something that probably is full of preservatives and God only knows what other horrible additives. So since it's pumpkin season I thought I would try this pumpkin cake that I actually made baked in a bread pan instead. The recipe is from Martha Stewart and let's just say it was sinful :)
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
For The Cake-
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp each allspice and cloves)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
For The Frosting-
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter your baking pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake about 10 minutes.
- Make honey frosting: in a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.
- Spread on top of cooled cake.