Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dinner Party

This past Saturday Brian and I had a group people over for dinner. I was slightly nervous only because it was mostly guys, there was only one other girl, so I knew I had to make enough to feed everybody and their big appetites. So I'm sure it's not surprising, to those who know me, that I went with spaghetti and meatballs, salad and bread. However, what might surprise everyone including myself, is that I made a dessert! Panna cotta served with fresh berries on top. I had never made it before but it has always been a favorite of mine. Thankfully it's easy to make. From now on it will always be a go-to stress free dessert for me.
The recipe I used is from Giada's book Everyday Italian.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
  • 3 cups whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups assorted fresh berries
Directions:
  • Place the milk in a heavy sauce pan. Sprinkle the gelatin over and let stand for about 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. 
  • Stir over medium heat just until the gelatin dissolves but the milk does not boil, about 5 minutes. 
  • Add the cream, honey, sugar, and salt and stir until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and let cool slightly. 
  • Pour the cream mixture into pretty glasses (if you are going for presentation) or a bowl like I did. Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours, and up to 2 days. 
  • Spoon the berries atop the panna cotta and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment