Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I'm Back!

It's been almost a month of dead silence on this end. Whoops! To my defense I have had a lot on my plate and everything is finally settling down again. Slowly returning back to normal. Almost. 
Since I've moved to "suburbia" (we get a kick out of saying that) it has taken a few days to get the kitchen set up but let me tell you, that was the first part of the house I really wanted unpacked and ready to go. For four years now all my kitchens have been smaller than my current. Everything was always within an arm's length which suited me well. It was always cozy to cook and even more alluring, faster to clean. But, now that I do have a bit more space to move around in and store all my stuff I certainly appreciate it.  
Unfortunately my dear husband is on round 3 of sickness this winter. So he's been home with me for the past few days trying to get better and my care taking duties have been upped. When Brian gets sick he really likes to have a meat and potatoes kind of dish so I decided to give chicken pot pie a go. I have never made one before, nor am I a huge fan, but because he LOVES it I thought it might make him feel better. Well, to be honest and not to toot my own horn but I actually really liked it. In fact, it's the first pot pie that I have ever liked! I'm sure Brian will be happy to know I will make this down the road. 

Ingredients:

  • 3 lbs ground chicken (I chopped mine into chunks)
  • olive oil
  • salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 5 medium carrots, peeled & finely chopped
  • 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves
  • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • peas
  • pie crust (I bought the store bought fridge kind)
Directions:
  • In a large dutch oven, heat a few tbsp of olive oil over medium. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is dark brown, about 10-15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat to a plate.
  • Saute the carrots, celery and onions in the same pot and season with salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes and stir in the garlic for about 30 seconds or just until fragrant.
  • Return the chicken to the pot along with any drippings on the plate. Sprinkle the flour and stir to coat the veggies and meat. Cook for about 3 minutes before stirring in the chicken stock. Add the herbs and peas and adjust seasoning to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until mixture has reduced and thickened. (Almost all of the liquid should be cooked off)
  • Stir in the cream and remove from heat. 
  • Top with the pie crust
  • Bake in oven on low broil or high heat to brown the crust on top. 
From now on I will try to take pictures. I always kick myself for not taking the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment